Print Serial Publications
Conditions for the assignment of an ISSN
The Czech ISSN National Center assigns an ISSN after a written request is submitted through the online form (at right), including evidence that the publication has already been published or is being prepared to go to print.
An ISSN can be used to create a GTIN-13 bar code according to ČSN 97 7116.
Publishers must send, together with their request:
- One sample of the serial (if the title has already gone to print)
- A copy of the title page/masthead
- If appropriate, the cover of the prepared publication.
- There is no fee an ISSN assignment.
We will enter the record into the international ISSN database after the first edition or volume has been published.
The International ISSN Center has given the Czech ISSN National Center full authority to assign or not assign an ISSN.
ISSNs are assigned to serials/publications that are:
- Published periodically under the same title, with no predetermined publication end date
- Issued in parts, single issues, or volumes with numerical or chronological markings
- Satisfying the requirements of printing act No. 46/2000 Coll., as amended
- Published in the territory of the Czech Republic; this must be listed in the masthead
If the publication is concurrently issued on two and more different formats (on paper, CD, disc, Internet, etc.), each format will be assigned its own ISSN.
Some serials cannot be assigned an ISSN
An ISSN cannot be assigned in every case. The following types of serials typically will not be assigned ISSNs:
- Inserts and advertising titles
- Crossword puzzles
- Business catalogs
- Titles with narrow local subject matter (e.g., community, town and school bulletins)